Fort Bliss is located in El Paso County, within the Fort Bliss Military Reservation. The fort established in the late 1840s about the end of the Mexican-American war, due to its strategic location on the banks of the Rio Grande; Fort Bliss was originally used as an infantry post. There are no records or definitive dates to give us and idea of the establishment of the first post cemetery, records do indicate that the first interment was made in 1883 and 16 burials had been made prior to 1890. The status of Fort Bliss was changed from to a cavalry from an infantry post in 1914. At that time, Fort Bliss set aside 2.2 acres of American soil and grass enclosed with a rock wall for a capacity of 800 graves for our brave men and women.