Re Grass Fort Bliss Cemetery
Fort Bliss is located in El Paso County, within the Fort Bliss Military Reservation. The fort established in the late 1840s about the end of the Mexican-American war, due to its strategic location on the banks of the Rio Grande; Fort Bliss was originally used as an infantry post. There are no records or definitive dates to give us and idea of the establishment of the first post cemetery, records do indicate that the first interment was made in 1883 and 16 burials had been made prior to 1890. The status of Fort Bliss was changed from to a cavalry from an infantry post in 1914. At that time, Fort Bliss set aside 2.2 acres of American soil and grass enclosed with a rock wall for a capacity of 800 graves for our brave men and women.
Fort Bliss was first used as a rendezvous point for recruits at the beginning of the world war 1 and then as a demobilization camp after the Armistice. 2.24 acres were added to the cemetery during the interwar war years increasing Fort Bliss Cemetery’s capacity to 2,400 graves. Congress passed a bill authorizing Fort Bliss a national cemetery in June 1936. In addition to our brave men and women, there are a number of non-U.S. citizens burred at Fort Bliss. Chinese authorities officially selected the post as the place of interment for Chinese air force cadets, in fall 1944, which died while training at the fort; 55 are buried at Fort Bliss. Resting at Fort Bliss Cemetery also include four German POW’s, 3 Japanese civilian internees, and one German civilian scientist who had been actively conducting research at Fort Bliss during the war.
In 1955, the remains of Lt. Col. William Wallace Smith Bliss were moved to Fort Bliss. Col. Bliss battled against the Cherokee, was an instructor at West Point, served as chief of staff to then Gen. Zachary Taylor in the Mexican-American War and later married President Taylor’s daughter.
Fort Bliss Cemetery erected a monument to Navy and Coast Guard personnel who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 on behalf of The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association. A granite monument in 1986 for officers in military service was dedicated by The Military Order of the World Wars.
In 1986; The American Ex-Prisoners of War of El Paso, Chapter 1. Installed, The American Prisoners of War Monument into the Fort Bliss Cemetery; the granite memorial is dedicated in the memory of prisoners of all wars. A granite-and-bronze memorial for all armed forces personnel was dedicated on Oct. 22, 2002 by The Military Order of the Purple Heart.
American Soil is what our brave men and women are fighting to protect, they deserve to have the best in their final resting place
Here is a soldier in Iraq , stationed in a big sand box. He asked his wife to send him dirt ( U.S. soil), fertilizer, and some grass seed so that he can have the sweet aroma, and feel the grass grow beneath his feet. When the men of the squadron have a mission that they are going on, they take turns walking through the grass and the American soil — to bring them good luck. Of all the things he could have asked his wife to send to him from home………..he asked for American soil.